Home | Articles
Published on:July 2020
Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, 2020; 54(3):xx-xx
Original Article | doi:10.5530/ijper.54.3.x

Paediatric Focused Triggering Tool (PFTT) To Assess the Harm and its Utilization to Minimize the Levels of Harm among Children at a Tertiary Care Hospital


Authors and affiliation (s):

Geetanjali Shankarprasad Salimath*, Madiwalayya Shivakantayya Ganachari, Manjula Gudhoor

Department of Pharmacy Practice KLE College of Pharmacy, KLE Academy for Higher Education and Research (KAHER), Belagavi, Karnataka, INDIA.

Abstract:

Objectives: Very few paediatric trigger tools have been developed to assess harm in children. Hence, a Paediatric-focused trigger tool has been developed, assess its utility to measure the levels of harm, categorize and minimize them further. Methodology: The final 40 trigger tool developed by modifying IHI-GTT adult care, was prospectively tested for structural review of records (n=520) of paediatric population of a tertiary care hospital for incidence of adverse events (AE’s) with associated harm and categorized using modified NCCMERP (National Coordinating Council for Medication Error Reporting and Prevention) index from E-I. Results: Among 292 male and 228 female children, the incidence of AEs was 35%, more in the category of 1-5 years of age with harm assessment events. Out of 182 AEs identified, 107(58.80%) were found to be of E-category, 43(23.62%) were of category F, 22(12.08%) with category G, 9(4.95%) with category H and 1(0.55%) was category I. Two third of the paediatric population of category E and F (82.4%) had temporary harm and remaining (17.6%) were of non- preventable harm, category G-I. One example of AE identified with harm was, decrease in 25% in Haemoglobin or Haematocrit and number of blood transfusions. Further action was taken to strictly monitor and minimize further harm. Conclusion: The present study highlights on the harm assessment among the paediatric population with the help of developed Paediatric-Focused Trigger Tool (PFTT) modified by using IHI-GTT adult trigger tool. This helps paediatric set ups to assess its usefulness and further develop strategies to mitigate the harm.

Key words: Paediatric, Trigger tool, AEs, NCCMERP Index, Harm.

 




 

Impact Factor

IJPER - An Official Publication of Association of Pharmaceutical Teachers of India is pleased to announce continued growth in the 2019 Release of Journal Citation Reports (source: 2018 Web of Science Data).

 

Impact Factor® as reported in the 2018 Journal Citation Reports® (Clarivate Analytics, 2019): 0.425

User login

The Official Journal of Association of Pharmaceutical Teachers of India (APTI)
(Registered under Registration of Societies Act XXI of 1860 No. 122 of 1966-1967, Lucknow)

Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (IJPER) [ISSN-0019-5464] is the official journal of Association of Pharmaceutical Teachers of India (APTI) and is being published since 1967.

DOI HISTORY

IJPER uses reference linking service using Digital Object Identifiers (DOI) by Crossref. Articles from the year 2013 are being assigned DOIs for its permanent URLs